free counters We welcome newcomers!

Remember: if you participate with us, please link to and mention us in your post.

Monday 1 February 2016

Introduction of Dd

If you join us, please show us a photo, poem or article beginning with D, and mention this meme in your post or in the sidebar. We like to welcome you in our bloggingcompany.



After C comes D, which is an old letter to be found in ancient Egypt, Greece, Hebrew and in all European languages, although not all written the same way. The alphabet in Asia and Africa is quite different from ours.

 

Egyptian hieroglyph
door
Phoenician
daleth
Greek
Delta
Etruscan
D
Roman
D
O31
PhoenicianD-01.png Delta uc lc.svg EtruscanD-01.svg Roman D
The Semitic letter Dāleth may have developed from the logogram for a fish or a door. There are various Egyptian hieroglyphs that might have inspired this. In Semitic, Ancient Greek and Latin, the letter represented /d/; in the Etruscan alphabet the letter was superfluous but still retained (see letter B). The equivalent Greek letter is Delta, Δ.
Love of Detective Fiction


 

***


11 comments:

  1. oooooh....I do love a good detective story! Interesting how alphabets got started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite Interesting! Nice to know about its origin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there is a lot more to learn about letters and writing in general.

    Detectives are my favorite to... especialy the English and Scandinavian ones... never see to much of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right:We never have too many of them! Especially the British ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy a bit of history with the post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting intro and I always love a good detective story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recognize myself in the first cartoon !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going to talk about DR WHO and the DALEKS, or DARTH VADER and DEATH STARS, DEUTERIUM and DARK MATTER, but then I said what the heck, and planted my feet firmly on terra firma and stayed in my neighbourhood, and the DAREBIN CREEK!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice intro. My "D" is for DAISIES!

    ReplyDelete
  10. delta - one of the Greek letters easiest to remember (I took Greek for 2 semesters, because I didn't want to take German or French as a language requirement. It was fun, because I was to the point I could read from my New Testament Greek bible - not anymore though - sigh)

    ReplyDelete